Marina Teresa Squerciati (born April 30, 1984, in New York City, New York) is an American actress and writer. Squerciati has starred in film such as It's Complicated (2009) , Frances Haand (2012), Sparks (2013). She additionally has had Television roles in Gossip Girl for eight episodes as Alessandra Steele. Since January 2014, she has starred as Detective Kim Burgess in the NBC drama series Chicago P.D, with crossover roles in Chicago Fire (2012), Chicago Med (2015) and Chicago Justice (2017).
Squerciati grew up in New York City. She graduated from Northwestern University with a BA in Theater.
For her work in theater, Squerciati won the prestigious Agnes Moorehead Award for her performance as Judy Holliday in the off-Broadway play Just in Time: The Judy Holliday Story at the Lucille Lortel Theatre. Squerciati made her Broadway debut in an adaptation of Ernst Lubitsch's To Be or Not to Be, directed by Tony Award winner Casey Nicholaw. Off-Broadway, she starred in Manipulation, Beauty of the Father and others. Squerciati created the role of "Kerri Taylor" in the a cappella musical comedy Perfect Harmony, and was a member of The Essentials.
Film and television
In 1993, Squerciati appeared in The Nutcracker, directed by Emile Ardolino. She made her feature film debut in It's Complicated in 2009. In 2012, she appeared in the films Alter Egos and Frances Ha. She also starred in the indie film Sparks based on the critically acclaimed comic SPARKS by William Katt.
Her television debut was on Law & Order: Criminal Intent in 2009. After appearing in guest roles on The Good Wife, Damages, Blue Bloods and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit in 2010 and 2011, she gained attention in the fall of 2011 in an 8-episode arc on the fifth season of Gossip Girl. In 2013 she guest starred on the FX series The Americans as a Soviet spy.
Notes and Trivia
- Squerciati grew up in New York City.
- She graduated from Northwestern University with a BA in Theater.
- She married her college sweetheart, Eli Kay-Oliphant.
- On February 15, 2017, Squerciati announced her pregnancy via Twitter; she gave birth to a daughter in May.
- She has played the same character (Officer Kim Burgess) in five different television series: Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (1999), Chicago Fire (2012), Chicago P.D. (2014), Chicago Med (2015) and Chicago Justice (2017).